HHSC is a competitive swimming club. Members are encouraged to take part in a number of competitive swimming events both as individuals and as part of Club teams at local, county, regional and national level.
The Club's extensive competition schedule is designed to give all members of whatever age and experience an opportunity to maximise their capabilities. Full details of the event schedule are available on the Club Calendar.
The principle events are as follows:
Competitions for HHSC members only
- The Club Championships are held mainly in September and cover 25m events (for under 9's), 50m, 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m and 1500m events; the longer distance events are held later in the year.
- Junior League Trials are held prior to the start of the Milton Keynes and Peanuts Leagues (see below) to help with team selection. All swimmers in the qualifying age groups are expected to enter swimming one length in each stroke.
- The Shark's Gala is a fun event for all members of the Club (and even some parents!). The timing for this event varies but in 2016 it will be held on 3rd July.
Competitions open to members of other clubs
- HHSC Spring Development Open: This is a level 3 licensed open meet which in 2016 will be held on 19th and 20th March. Entries are restricted to swimmers with times slower than the qualifying times for the Herts County Championships. It comprises 50m, 100m and 200m events in all strokes plus a 100m and 200m IM.
- HHSC Birthday Open: This is a level 2 licensed open meet which in 2015 will be held on 17th and 18th October. Minimum entry times apply. It comprises 50m, 100m, and 200m events in all strokes plus a 100m and 200m IM and a 400 free. Entry documentation can be found here.
Other Club Open Competitions
HHSC supports a range of competitions hosted by other Clubs throughout the year, often providing poolside coaching support. Full details are available on the Club Calendar.
County, Regional and National Competitions
HHSC is affiliated to Hertfordshre ASA. HHSC swimmers compete in the following County events:
- The Hertfordshire County Championships which are held in January and February.
- The Masters competition held in June.
- Younger swimmers also have the opportunity to compete in the Development Meet in November
HHSC is also affiliated to the ASA East Region which includes Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk. HHSC swimmers compete in the following Regional events:
- The championships held in June.
- The Winter Championships which are held in November
Swimmers who achieve their national qualification times can swim in the National Championships for their age group in July.
The National Arena Swimming League is a national league competition is for swimmers aged 9 and above. Three rounds are held from October to December with the possibility of qualifying for national finals. HHSC competes in Division 1 of the London Region.
The Milton Keynes & District Junior Swimming League is for swimmers aged 9 - 12 for clubs from around London and gives access to the national Arena Junior Inter-League Swimming Competition. Three rounds are held in June, JUly and September. HHSC enters one team.
Hertfordshire Swimming League operates the following competitions for clubs across Hertfordshire:
- Herts Major League is the county’s premier competition for swimmers aged 9 and above. It is organised in three divisions with 10 to 12 teams in each Division. Three rounds are held from January to March. HHSC normally enters two teams.
- Peanuts League is for swimmers aged between 9 and 12, again organised into three divisions with 10 to 12 teams in each Division. Three rounds are held from April to July. HHSC enters one team.
The Chilterns League involves teams from Hertfordshire, Oxfordshire, Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire in a competition with no faster than times which allows swimmers who may not be selected for the more competitive leagues to have an opportunity to represent the Club. The competition is held over three rounds from January to April. HHSC enters one team.
HHSC has a very active Masters section. Members compete in some of the League competitions alongside their junior counterparts as well as entering Masters competitions at County, Regional, National and International events.