HHSC is a competitive swimming club. Members are encouraged to take part in a number of competitive swimming events both as individuals and as part of Club teams at local, county, regional and national level.
The Club's extensive competition schedule is designed to give all members of whatever age and experience an opportunity to maximise their capabilities. Full details of the event schedule are available on the Club Calendar.
The principle events are as follows:
Competitions for HHSC members only
- The Club Championships are held in two parts of three weekends each.
- Sprint (25m events for under 9's, 50m and 100m events for everyone else) in June and July
- Middle Distance (200m and 400m free) from November to January
- 400IM, 800m and 1500m time trials are held in November and December.
- Peanuts Trials are held prior to the start of the Peanuts League (see below) to help with team selection. All swimmers in the qualifying age groups are expected to enter swimming one length in each stroke.
- The Shark's Gala is a fun event for all members of the Club (and even some parents!). This is usually held in December.
Competitions open to members of other clubs
- HHSC Spring Development Open: This is a level 3 licensed open meet held in May. Entries are restricted to swimmers with times slower than the qualifying times for the Herts County Championships
- The results of the 2014 competition can be found here.
- HHSC Birthday Open: This is a level 3 licensed open meet held in October with no minimum or maximum qualifying times.
- The 2014 competition will be held on 18th and 19th October 2014
- The results of the 2013 competition can be found here.
Other Club Open Competitions
HHSC supports a range of competitions hosted by other Clubs throughout the year, often providing poolside coaching support. Full details are available on the Club Calendar.
County, Regional and National Competitions
HHSC is affiliated to Hertfordshre ASA. HHSC swimmers compete in the following County events:
HHSC is also affiliated to the ASA East Region which includes Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk. HHSC swimmers compete in the following Regional events:
- The Youth and BAGCAT championships held in June.
- The Winter Championships which are held in November
Swimmers who achieve their national qualification times can swim in the National Championships for their age group in July.
The National Arena Swimming League is a National League competition broken down into seven regions. HHSC competes in Division 2 of the London Region.
Hertfordshire Swimming League operates the following competitions for clubs across Hertfordshire:
- Herts Major League is the county’s premier competition, organised into three divisions with 10 to 12 teams in each Division. Three rounds are held from January to March. HHSC normally enters two teams.
- Peanuts League is for swimmers aged between 9 and 12, again organised into three divisions with 10 to 12 teams in each Division. Three rounds are held from April to July. HHSC enters at least two teams.
The Chilterns League involves teams from Hertfordshire, Oxfordshire, Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire in a competition with no faster than times which allows swimmers who may not be selected for the more competitive leagues to have an opportunity to represent the Club. The competition is held over three rounds from January to April. HHSC enters one team.
HHSC has a very active Masters section. Members compete in some of the League competitions alongside their junior counterparts as well as entering Masters competitions at County, Regional, National and International events.